Monday, April 18, 2011

Ellie Goulding: Bright 'Lights'

Ellie Goulding: Bright 'Lights'


An eclectic U.K. pop phenomenon is poised to break out in the U.S.
By Kathy Iandoli
Special to MSN Music

In the U.S., Ellie Goulding's a new face: Her debut album, "Lights," arrived stateside in early March within weeks of her first North American live dates and South by Southwest festival slots that served as her coming-out party for mainstream media here.
On her home turf, however, the U.K. singer-songwriter is already a critical darling and commercial success. Released there last year, her first full-length went on to top the album chart, earning her the BRIT Award for Critics' Choice, the same award Adele received in 2008. Goulding's version of Elton John's early hit "Your Song" was ubiquitous during the holidays thanks to its use in a Christmas ad campaign by British retail giant John Lewis, and her breakthrough single, "Starry Eyed," made The New York Times' honor roll of the top songs of 2010. Her SXSW appearances were among the most talked-about at this year's Austin, Texas, gathering.
With all of that going on, Miss Goulding is on the verge of something huge here in America. MSN caught up with her along the eastern leg of the tour to learn more.
MSN Music: Are you shocked by how well you're received in the U.S.?
Ellie Goulding: Yeah, and my way of thinking as a singer I'm always negative and quite pessimistic. So I think, "No one's gonna like me here." Then my faith is restored when I go to shows and walk on [stage]. It's just mad. I can't fathom it at all.
I grew up in a poor family in Hereford [England]. My dad left when I was young, and I haven't seen him for, like, eight years. I remember things were really s---, then my mom met this guy and he was really horrible and abusive for years. S--- was pretty rough. I was a bright child and all of my teachers were like, "She's really clever," but I felt like people looked down on me because I lived in a council house. It's really frowned upon living in a council house. Bearing all that in mind, the fact that I'm even here is phenomenal. I'd hate for people to think this all fell into place for me because I went to, like, a stage school or because I was pushed into it by my parents. It couldn't be further from the truth. I just feel proud of myself that I'm even here. I didn't even think I'd ever get to America; I didn't think I'd travel the world. It continues to amaze me.
How did you get started writing and making music?
When I was about 9, I started writing in this diary, which I still have in my bedside drawer. It's sort of rubbish, like "Today I went to the swimming baths." When Princess Diana died, I wrote a poem for her. I was just really switched on. As I started going through the book, I started getting obsessive with guys. I was looking back at it thinking, "I was one serious child." You can see as it progresses that I'm getting more intense.
As I'm growing older, my eyes are opening and I'm seeing things and starting to think, "Why did that happen to my family?" and that kind of stuff. Then I started writing things out. I think I discovered I could sing when I was really young, but it was one of those things that just wasn't taken seriously, and never would've been. It's not like from a young age, "She's got a good voice. Let's push it." I could never afford anything like that, so I just kind of had it and quietly sang to myself for years. I was imitating amazing R&B singers, like Lauryn Hill. Then I got the second Destiny's Child record and sang every Beyoncé part. That is basically how I taught myself to sing.
When I got to about 15, I found myself around other creative people and people who were into music. There was this girl who could sing really well and she was singing in a band, so I asked if I could sing backing vocals. I borrowed recording equipment and recorded a really awful song. My first songs were really all over the place.
When I actually started getting to write my album, I started working with writers and producers.
I didn't end up working with any of them for the album, but my management and people were trying to get me to work with people to inspire me. I ended up picking up loads of things and started becoming sort of a pop writer and writing for other people while I got myself started. That's been a progression, really, me writing. I feel like my writing is becoming more me. I can look back on songs I write now and I'm happy with them, whereas the songs I used to write I'm just like, "Ugh."
With artists like Adele and Jessie J, do you find it's easier for you to make a presence here, or do you feel it's more difficult?
That's a good question. I think it's kind of easier. At the moment it seems like people have a real love for female singers. I'm friends with Jessie and I know Adele as a fan, so I think there's a real camaraderie. There's no kind of rivalry or bitterness. Jessie is more of a pop artist; she's straight-up pop. She has an amazing voice; she's got great songs, and Adele ... her record is astounding. I guess because I combine a few genres, I don't fit into those categories. I feel like it's hard for me to be a huge, massive star because I feel some people would say I have an incredibly amazing voice and some would say I can't sing for s---, whereas those two, they are definitive singers. They both can sing and they clearly have an amazing voice. I think that I divide opinion, and I like that. I'm happy being a big star, but I'm also happy being someone who just makes and sells music. I'm very happy like that. I never wish to be a huge star. I never wish to take over the world. It's a great bonus if I can!
Has Elton John reached out to you about your cover of "Your Song"?
He did a show and just before he played the song he was like, "I just want to say I really like Ellie's version, and I think there's a great caliber of artists at the moment, and she's one of them, and I really like her version." Thank God.

No comments:

Post a Comment